The suppressor user right allows users to perform an enhanced version of revision deletion, called suppression. They can do this by ticking "Apply restrictions to administrators" which hides the revision from sysops, as well as other users. This also produces a message in the private suppression log, instead of the public deletion log, which only other suppressors and stewards can see. This is one of the six default MediaWiki user groups, see mw:Help:User rights and groups.
Additionally, suppression can be used to hide a username that is grossly inappropriate from the username list at the same time as indefinitely blocking them. This feature will also suppress the username from most logs and edits, although the username may still be visible in some places, such as rollback edit summaries.
Suppressors can also perform an advanced form of page deletion, which hides the contents of the deleted page from administrators, as well as other users.
This right is automatically granted to stewards and system administrators who can assign it to themselves, but non-steward suppressors may be appointed by community consensus, or by a consensus of the steward team (at least 2 supporting).
Here is an incomplete list of things that can, and will be suppressed:
- Personal information: IP addresses of registered users, doxxing, location, phone number, etc.
- Copyright infringement: Use of material without the expressed consent of the author
- Serious personal attacks: Serves little or no administrative value, hiding protects the community
- Other grossly insulting material that needs to be hidden to protect the community: Inappropriate images, moving pages to inappropriate names, etc.
- Any other material that the suppression team deems unfit for public view
List of all people with suppression rights
This is an automatically generated list of people who have access to the suppression tool. Please email one of them or the staff email address for any suppression requests.
|Implicit: (all) • Users • Autoconfirmed users
Bots • Administrators • Bureaucrats • Suppressors • Interface administrators
|Autochecked users • Autopatrolled users • Chat moderators • Confirmed users • Patrollers • Reviewers • Translate administrators • Users blocked from chat
|Bots • Interwiki administrators • Administrators • Bureaucrats
|Administrators • Bureaucrats • Suppressors • Interface administrators • Checkusers • Stewards